
This is going to be like a personal wank but I'm over it... This weekend I made my way to Cape Town for two main reasons. The one was to get my American visa cause I'll hopefully be going back to Aspen in a couple of weeks. The other was to audition for MTV Base. The channel, flighted on DSTV is looking for a new host to present the World Chart Express show... and because this is what I love i.e TV, music and entertainment I thought it was the chance of a life time. So when I headed off to the V and A Waterfront I was but nervous, cold, hungry and slightly hungover. After three hours of waiting, avoiding being the Eminem of this leg of auditions I finally auditioned. Because of my radio experience I decided to go in blind and speak off the top of my head. Once the minute was up I knew, well at least I thought I knew, that I hadn't done my best and that was the end of the road. We then we back to kriby's place had a couple of snacks and spoke about the joys of life... It was at that stage that I got the sms. It reads:
"From MTV VJ search, u r one of the judges favourites! Pls make sure u r around the venue 4 a call back!" I could've cried I was so excited, so we rushed back to the Waterfront to see where this round would lead to... When we arrived there were women kissing women, one lady licking the floor, a guy climbing up the polls and another lady stopping traffic. All in the name of fun and the extreme desire to be an MTV VJ. I had to think about what I would do just in case I too had to do something crazy... I considered getting an MTV tatoo or shaving my hair. Now that would be damn extreme for me, hell my hair! Anyway so I avoided well and then went back into audition one more time. Later I found it that I had made it to the top 30 out of about 200, so i was damn chuffed. It was a lot better this time but I think the judges knew what they were looking for... In the end 20 year old Fikile Moeti took the title in the first leg. On the MTV site she says “Being selected as one of the three finalists to become an MTV presenter is just awesome! It’s the first step in what will hopefully become a dream come true for me.” I had the pleasure of meeting her, she's an absolute stunner and I wish her all the best. I could most definitely watch her on TV, and not only because she's hot... it's because she's good. She is joined by 21 year old Xylon Van Eyck who won the judges votes in Port Elizabeth leg.
If anyone reading this from South Africa would like to audition still get on down to The Rooftops, Rosebank Mall, Johannesburg this Saturday 7 October and the Playhouse in Durban on Sunday 8 October.



Of course they knew what they were looking for!!!!!
Posted by
Anonymous |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:56:00 PM
Well it was a good experience and I'm glad I got through to the second round. It's just made me more determined to make it in this field and industry!
Posted by
jvonblog |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:09:00 PM
give me a J give me an A give me an S give me a O give me a N what does that spell...yes, that hottie in the pic and our almost famous friend...JASON :-) must have been a great experience! Sure you will get your chance someday!
Posted by
Ange |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:44:00 PM
It's all about timing, and this time it was against me... but in a good way cause next time there will be a bigger and better opportunity. Dank Paang
Posted by
jvonblog |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:11:00 PM
Jase, bet you never thought i would have a blog! Haha... Well done in making the top 30!
Posted by
Anonymous |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 6:20:00 PM
my digsy is sooo damn hot!
Posted by
Carlz |
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:08:00 PM
DAMMMMNNN, JASE!
That is freakin' awesome! I read your post with the biggest smile on my face! I'm so proud of you for making it that far...
You rock & I'm sooo proud of you!
Love ya stax
xoxo
Posted by
Anonymous |
Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:21:00 AM
I just realized that Fiekile Moeti matriculated from my High School (Clarendon Girls High) in East London!
Yay for the Clarrie bags!!
Posted by
Anonymous |
Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:26:00 AM
i like your blog indeed. nice posts. oh and good luck at getting a tv job! ;)
Posted by
Natigirl |
Friday, October 06, 2006 7:14:00 PM
Yay for VISA!!!
Posted by
Carlz |
Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:31:00 PM
HI JAS
ITS FIX MY LUV!!!!!! GOT A TEXT FROM HANNAH AND I GOT ALL EXCITED THAT U TWO WERE GOIN OUT TOGETHER! PLEASE CAN U GET THE RHODES STUDENTS TO VOTE FOR ME ON 1ST NOVEMBER AT 21H30 ON ETV! THATS WHEN VOTING STARTS! CAN I SEND U A POSTER TO PUT UP ON UR CAMPUS?
Posted by
Anonymous |
Friday, October 20, 2006 5:22:00 PM
Post a Comment